Waste, and our attitude to this crucial issue, are the main factors that affects our world’s environment. The environment is everything around you including the air, water, land, plants, and everything created by the humans. Everyone probably know that all of us need a healthy environment for our own health and happiness. So we must understand why effective waste management is so important to Each and everyone else.
Bases of waste managment are these three main ideas; Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. Three great ways WE can eliminate waste and protect our planet. Reduce means using less than usual to avoid waste. By Reusing we give old items a new life. Waste that might be consider unusful, will find a new use for them.
Recycling is the process of collecting and processing materials that would otherwise be thrown away as trash and turning them into new products. Recycling can benefit your community and the environment. It gives us many benefits;
- Reduces the amount of waste sent to landfills and incinerators
- Conserves natural resources such as timber, water and minerals
- Increases economic security by tapping a domestic source of materials
- Prevents pollution by reducing the need to collect new raw materials
- Saves energy
- Helps create jobs in the recycling and manufacturing industries
There are several methods for collecting recyclables, including curbside collection, drop-off centers, and deposit or refund programs. After collection, recyclables are sent to a recovery facility to be sorted, cleaned and processed into materials that can be used in manufacturing.
Below are the materials that can be recycled;
- Newspapers and paper towels
- Aluminum, plastic, and glass soft drink containers
- Steel cans
- Plastic laundry detergent bottles
Recycled materials are also used in new ways such as recovered glass in asphalt to pave roads or recovered plastic in carpeting and park benches. This prevents the pollution and destruction that occurs when virgin materials –like trees and precious metals– are extracted from the earth.
We can all make a difference and it all depends on us and how much effort each of us will make to save our Earth.